MDS Protocol for Sacral Pressure Injury Prevention
Applying Miracle Dressing Wound Care System (MDS)
Miracle Dressing is an FDA Class I medical device which has been shown to help prevent pressure injuries and heal stage 1 and stage 2 pressure wounds. It is designed to stay in place for about three weeks and then fall off on its own. Miracle Dressing should not be removed prematurely.
Miracle Dressing Wound Care System Kit Includes
- Miracle Dressing (MD) in pre-cut strips. With water contact, the pore design allows cleaning of the wound including the removal of blood and exudate.
- Humectant: Miracle of the Sea Aloe® Vera Gel with Natural Marine Extract
- Cotton tipped swabs
These are all single use kits.
- Clean the wound and surrounding skin with hydrogen peroxide or soap and water followed by rinsing with water.
- Blot dry.
- Place the agglutinant over the vulnerable area, whether it is the coccyx or the sacrum.
ALLOW TO DRY FOR 2 MINUTES.
- Cut the Miracle Dressing to fit over the skin with agglutinant.
- Pull on the small tab on the upper right corner of the MD paper backing to easily remove each Miracle Dressing strip from the backing before placing on skin. If there is no longer a tab, remove Miracle Dressing (MD) from its backing by attaching a piece of Scotch Tape (or other tape) onto the corner skin-colored MD and lifting away from the backing.
- Prior to placing Miracle Dressing, stretch the involved area of skin to its maximum. Place the first Miracle Dressing strip over the wound and at least 1/2″ beyond.
- Clean any excess peripheral agglutinant with alcohol on a gauze pad.
- Pat down all the edges of the dressing
- At least once or twice a day, immerse the Miracle Dressing with water (shower, saturated gauze or wash cloth compresses). Blot the Miracle Dressing dry after water immersion and then: Apply the enclosed Miracle of The Sea Aloe Vera Gel with Natural Marine Extract – or your favorite humectant - after every water immersion or at least twice a day.Using one of the enclosed cotton tipped swabs, spread a small amount of Aloe Vera Gel / humectant onto the Miracle Dressing and allow it to be absorbed into the wound and the surrounding skin through the Miracle Dressing.
- Do not remove Miracle Dressing unless there is severe pain, redness and swelling. To remove, place a gauze soaked with isopropyl alcohol over the portion of the MD that is surrounding the wound for 5 minutes and carefully remove, starting from the edges.
Unopened kits can be stored flat.
Keep in temperature less than 75°f.
Can also be refrigerated but it is not necessary.
Precautions / Allergens
Do not use around the eyes or lips. Avoid contact with eyes either directly or indirectly from fingers.
The safety of Miracle of the Sea Aloe Vera Gel with Natural Marine Extract has not been determined in patients with seafood allergies. Stop using if you experience an allergic reaction.
Miracle Dressing™ is a § 880.5240 medical device and an exempted class I device as defined in 21 CFR Parts 862-8928 and is manufactured in an FDA registered establishment in compliance therein.
Miracle Dressing™ is being protected by one or more pending or issued patents.
For information about applying to joints, see this page.
For monitoring and measuring wound healing process with Miracle Dressing, see this page.
For more about Pressure Injury Prevention and Stage 1 and Stage 2 Pressure Wound Healing, see this page.
For protocols for other conditions, see this page.