MDS Protocol for Skin Tears
Applying Miracle Dressing Wound Care System (MDS)
Skin tears and ecchymoses (bruises) are the result of trauma, even slight, in elderly, thin and fragile skinned people. The healing is slow. Because each wound weakens the area further, it is commonly the site of repeated injuries.
Miracle Dressing Wound Care System Kit Includes
- Miracle Dressing (MD) in pre-cut strips. With water contact, the pore design allows cleaning of the wound including the removal of blood and exudate.
- Natural Marine Extract Time-Release Crystals in agglutinant (AME)
- Humectant Sample for Daily Maintenance: Miracle of the Sea® Natural Marine Extract in Aloe Vera Gel
- Cotton tipped swabs
These are all single use kits.
Miracle Dressing is an FDA Class I medical device which has been shown to help heal skin tears and bruises (ecchymoses / purpura). It is designed to stay in place for about three weeks and then fall off on its own. Miracle Dressing should not be removed prematurely.
- Clean the wound and surrounding skin with hydrogen peroxide or soap and water followed by rinsing with water.
- Re-orient any flaps of skin over its corresponding wound bed using one of the enclosed cotton tipped swabs.
- Blot dry.
- Turn the bottle of AME upside down and shake vigorously to distribute the Natural Marine Extract crystals.
- Drip the AME over the affected area and at least 1" beyond and spread with the enclosed cotton-tipped swab. Because AME contains isopropyl alcohol, some stinging sensation may occur.
- Apply AME over the bruised area making sure to extend at least 1" beyond the edges of where the Miracle Dressing will be placed.
- Cut the Miracle Dressing to fit over the skin with AME. If the wound and surrounding ecchymoses is too large for one MD strip, overlap additional strips with ½ inch overlap.
- To lift the Miracle Dressing off the backing, place a piece of tape on the corner of the dressing and peel away from the white backing paper.
- Place the first Miracle Dressing strip over the wound and at least 1″ beyond.
- Clean any excess peripheral AME with alcohol on a gauze pad.
- Pat down all the edges of the dressing until the AME is dry (about one minute).
- At least once or twice a day, immerse the Miracle Dressing with water (shower, saturated gauze or wash cloth compresses).Blot the Miracle Dressing dry after water immersion and then: Apply the enclosed Miracle of The Sea Natural Marine Extract in Aloe Vera Gel – or your favorite humectant.Using one of the enclosed cotton tipped swabs, spread a small amount of Aloe Vera Gel / humectant onto the Miracle Dressing and allow it to be absorbed into the wound and the surrounding skin through the Miracle Dressing.Although not usually necessary, if you need to apply an antibiotic ointment, apply the Natural Marine Extract in Aloe Vera Gel first and then apply the ointment sparingly (1/8 of pea size) every three days and only over the wound itself.
- A damp absorbent pad or gauze can be placed over the Miracle Dressing to collect excessive oozing. The drying action of this gauze will pull excess exudate away from the wound. If the wound is only oozing slightly, apply dry gauze only when needed to protect clothing or bedsheets.
- Rarely does Miracle Dressing need to be removed. However, if needed, place a gauze soaked with isopropyl alcohol over the portion of the MD that is surrounding the wound for 5 minutes and carefully remove, starting from the edges.
Unopened kits can be stored flat.
Keep in temperature less than 75°f.
Can also be refrigerated but it is not necessary.
Precautions / Allergens
Do not use around the eyes or lips. Avoid contact with eyes either directly or indirectly from fingers.
The safety of Natural Marine Extract has not been determined in patients with seafood allergies. Stop using if you experience an allergic reaction.
Miracle Dressing™ is a § 880.5240 medical device and an exempted class I device as defined in 21 CFR Parts 862-8928 and is manufactured in an FDA registered establishment in compliance therein.
Miracle Dressing™ is being protected by one or more pending or issued patents.
For information about applying to joints, see this page.
For monitoring and measuring wound healing process with Miracle Dressing, see this page.
For more about Skin Tears, see this page.
For protocols by condition, see this page.